Re: problems using Hotwayd + fetchmail+ procmai

2004-02-19 01:51:29
At 00:56 2004-02-19 -0600, Tech Support wrote:

However, when just changing over to Hotway, via fetchmail, procmail never
seems to get forwarded the message (or at least is unable to read the
headers using formail so it can be processed). Below is some info to help
explain the issue.

Procmail is either handed a message or it isn't. Procmail doesn't receive the message as a "headers" part and a "body" part - it's all one message, and procmail parses everything up to the first blank line as being the headers, and everything after that as the body (which is typical).

procmail: Assigning "LINEBUF=16384"
procmail: Executing "formail,-X,To:"

[snip]

Sure looks like fetchmail didn't recognize that hotwayd didn't really hand back a message, but formail went ahead and passed the nothingness along to the procmail which it invoked. Have you tried having fetchmail deliver to a file or something instead of calling procmail? Take procmail completely out of the loop - if you still have a problem, take something else out of the loop (fetchmail), if you still have a problem, then whatever is left is where your problem is.

This list is about procmail, not fetchmail or hotwayd.

If you set up a local MTA (which you'd want to do just for local message deliveries among users on the host, as well as for queued mail sends) with procmail as the LDA, then fetchmail wouldn't need to try to invoke procmail as its mda. If you did this, then you could also make use of diagnostics available in the MTA (such as elevating the logging level in sendmail to churn a complete SMTP transaction log).

---------.fetchmailrc2 file contents-------------
poll 127.0.0.1
proto pop3
user 'xxxxxxx(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com'
pass 'mypass'
wants mda '/usr/bin/procmail ~/.procmailrc'
---------END .fetchmailrc2 file contents----------

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Like I mentioned, the only change is
the switch to Hotway, then this problem occurs, so I suspect Fetchmail is
reading/interpreting headers differently via Hotway or something like
that???? Is there a way to get Procmail to recognize the headers ?

You don't provide anything to confirm that hotwayd is successfully retrieving messages from the hotmail web interface. I suggest you find out just what fetchmail is actually pulling down via hotwayd. That might appropriately start with you connecting to the hotwayd manually with telnet and issuing the appropriate POP3 command sequences. See the related RFCs - it's pretty simple stuff.

FTR, it might not be such a bad idea to set up hotwayd as a unique service port in /etc/services, launch it in inetd with that port, and check it in your fetchmailrc at that port as well. This keeps your options open for actually running a NORMAL pop3 daemon on your host. Otherwise, consider multihoming your system and running hotwayd on something other than the primary IP.

In any event, it sure looks like you have a problem with hotwayd, if not fetchmail.

You _really_ need to rethink the logic of using something that claims your sent mail is virus free - unless the recipient is running the same A/V software that can confirm the validity of the AVG signature (in which case, it'd be scanning that user's incoming email ANYWAY), this sort of claim only induces the morons out there to believe everything they read in their incoming email - including thinks like "this message isn't infected, because I said so" type of stuff that viruses will soon employ.