RE: netsky virus snagger

2004-02-20 15:20:34

From: Dallman Ross
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 11:18 AM

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:37:15AM -0800, Gary Funck wrote:

The way I'm invoking the virus snaggers is from the global
/etc/procmailrc,

NONDEL=TRUE
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmailrcs/virus_scan.rc
#
# If either VIR_A or VIR_B are true, a possible virus
# was seen. Dump it into the virus trap.
#
:0
* $ 1^0 TRUE ?? ^^$VIR_A^^
* $ 1^0 TRUE ?? ^^$VIR_B^^
{ VIRUS_FOUND = TRUE }

Well, in 1.5.0 there are three.  $VIR_A, _B, or _Z.

Yeah, I saw that. <g>

I think those variables will likely proliferate, and suggest a simpler
approach:

VIRUS_FOUND = TRUE if a virus was found.
VIRUS_TYPE = "..." is a string giving the type of virus found. It will
always be set to something descriptive if VIRUS_FOUND is TRUE.

However, you don't need to do the above.  The assignments
in the INCLUDERC are mutually exclusive -- there's only ever
one or none.  So this works:

   :0
   * $ TRUE ?? ^^$VIR_A$VIR_B$VIR_Z^^
   { # Virus Snaggers thinks it found a virus }

Even if the tests were not mutually exclusive, the
syntax would still work if we leave off the right-anchor:

   * $ TRUE ?? ^^$VIR_A$VIR_B$VIR_Z

Concerning the method that I used for checking the variables,
I just found the scoring method easier to read and understand.
I also found the use of $TRUE in your scripts to be a bit
counter-intuitive.

I'm running ver. 1.4.1a; 28-Jan-04.  And netsky (not mydoom) was
slipping through.

Frankly, this is the first I've heard of NetSky.  You're
mistaken if you think I watch for new viruses on the cutting
edge.  :-)

Dunno, but if you've got the best, simplest procmail virus scanner
out there, there is going to be some pressure for you keep the scanner
up-to-date. Fortunately, most viruses aren't zip-files, so your current
scripts catch a lot of them, without having to be over-specific.

I don't even *get* very many viruses to test my
stuff on.  With MyDoom, I got not-a-one the first five days
that everybody was complaining it was killing their systems.

Yeah, we don't see many either. I guess the folks that have us
in the address book either have a clue, or we're just not in
anyone's address book. <g>