Re: DROPPRIVS

2004-02-27 22:26:32
At 23:40 2004-02-27 -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
I was looking at the man pages and I have a question:

What you set DROPPRIVS to "yes" what does it mean by dropping the suid for the bottom half of the procmailrc file?

This applies to the _global_ procmailrc: /etc/procmailrc, which is run with elevated privledges.

I'm unclear what is mean by "bottom half".

procmail scripts are linear (top-down), not procedural. Everything BELOW the DROPPRIVS (i.e. processed afterwards) will be handled as the unprivledged user.

how do you determine which half your code is in?

Print the file on a line printer. Take a black Sharpie permanent marker and draw a line through the line "DROPPRIVS=yes". Stuff above that is executed as root, and after it, as the destination user.

Of course, if the DROPPRIVS is in a recipe, like so:

:0
* LOGNAME ?? ^^somelooser^^
{
        DROPPRIVS=yes
}

Then it's applicable only if the conditions are met.