Re: Anyone have a good recipe for "This email has been marked as spam"

2004-03-09 13:34:34

    Chris> I'm wondering if anyone out there has a good recipe for catching
    Chris> those "This email has been quarantined since it was marked as
    Chris> spam" kind of emails.  We have a newsletter that is sent out so
    Chris> we get all kinds of those different bounce back type emails from
    Chris> various "spam" softwares that people use.

A spam filter like Spambayes (see my .sig) will do an excellent job of
weeding these things out given a small amount of training.  Since each
anti-virus tool seems to generate this stuff in a unique format, using
purely pattern-based detection is going to be less effective than using a
statistical approach.  As a MacOSX/Linux user who's generally unaffected by
the virii themselves, the quarantine/defang/delete messages many anti-virus
tools send out present the greater problem for me.

Using a purpose-built spam filter simplifies your procmailrc files to boot.
I realize there is an "Everest Effect" for some folks that makes it
attractive to implement such tools directly in procmail, but I think most
people will find in the long run that supplementing procmail with a
purpose-built spam filter is both easier and more efficient.

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/submit.html