Re: Keep getting subborn spam with random words

2004-03-09 16:58:45
On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 04:24:08PM -0600, the entity calling itself Skip
Montanaro stated:

    >> fdhrtfkk ksfkgweg lsflsflnv and a lot more...............

    Jay> These are "zombies" - there are many variants, but they are
    Jay> designed to do one thing: confuse Bayesian filters.

In the Spambayes project this stuff is called "word salad".  (I doubt the
term originated with us.)  The one conclusion we've reached so far about it
is that it generally doesn't bother the accuracy of our classifier.

I guess that its effect on your classifier would depend upon several
variables, but unless you have a way to exclude them from being
classified they will affect the performance of your classifier. The
effect may be subtle if your classifier already has a large corpus.

Beyond that - why do you think someone would bother to send these
things?

Jay