Re: Keep getting subborn spam with random words

2004-03-10 09:18:18
At 08:35 2004-03-10 -0600, Skip Montanaro wrote:
   2. Bandwidth is still fairly expensive.  Spammers probably consume
       most of their existing bandwidth sending out mail.  Reducing
       the outflow of email will lower their overall revenues.  Adding
       more bandwidth so they can search for hammy text to associate
       with email addresses is expensive.

Well, inbound and outbound bandwidth are two separate things. Sure, making web requests and acknowledging individual packets takes some bandwidth, but not much. Plus, in virtually all consumer configurations, the download speed (speed at which the client can RETRIEVE data from the net) is faster than their upload speed (the speed at which they can send spam, be it directly or via compromised mail hosts). That download bandwidth is likely sitting untapped when they're sending their spew.

A consumer modem might have 33Kb up / 56Kb down (optimal, realized might be more like 28Kb/52Kb typical, perhaps less), and consumer broadband may be 128Kb/768Kb.

I am NOT suggesting that spammers are sophisticated enough to provide user originated text in the spam. OTOH, it would be TRIVIAL to hash an email address to generate a seed for a randomizer so that the keyword sequence for the "word salad" is consistent for any given recipient (or say, cycles one of five or ten word sequences). Of course, that means the recipient could train the spam engine or just filter on certain sequences, and be done with it -- OTOH, it might do a fair job at confounding system-wide spam filtering.

Note that there is no reason the word salad db couldn't be populated with words from prior db searches for that user address. Malware can certainly be a powerful tool for the spammers in this case, since they can use saved email on a lot of individual computers, tied directly to the given addresses.

Spammers could pull text from the website of the recipient domain: schmoe(_at_)theirdomain(_dot_)tld -> hit (www.)theirdomain.tld and grab some text for the spam. Or even try (www.)theirdomain.tld/~schmoe

I'd better stop hypothesizing before some spamfsck starts reading this list for ideas.

      to each spam message they send to skip(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com I will
quickly train
       on the few false negatives that slip through and shift the spamprob
       of each of the hammy words in the paragraph in the direction of spam.
       That paragraph will cease to be effective and the spammer will have
       to find a new one.

It still seems then that apparently _random_ words would slip by, _necessitating_ you to submit them for learning.