Re: Replacing characters in $MATCH, and folders with periods

2004-04-09 07:14:52
On 9 Apr 2004 David W. Tamkin (dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com) wrote:
Timur Tabi wrote:

The problem occurs when xxx contains a period.  Then procmail interprets
the period in $MATCH as a folder delimiter.

No, it's not procmail interpreting it that way. The server's imapd and your IMAP client do.

BTW, I discuss this and a lot more about mailbox names in my Procmail
Quick Start in this section:

 <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#mailboxNames>

Here is the relevant item:

 Do not use a forward slash (/), dot (.), or backslash (\) in the name of
 a mailbox because these are used as a namespace hierarchy separator on
 some IMAP servers. For example, UW IMAP uses forward slash for the
 namespace hierarchy separator; Lotus & Exchange use backslash; and
 Cyrus, Mirapoint, & Courier IMAP all use dot.

 Avoiding these characters in mailbox names makes it possible for you to
 have a consistent naming style across different IMAP systems, and should
 make your life easier if your system's IMAP server changes or if you
 move your mailboxes to a system using a different flavour of IMAP.

BTW2 to DWT: I'll probably add a link to the excellent message you just posted
that I'm replying to now.

--
Nancy McGough
Infinite Ink ~ <http://www.ii.com>