RE: Maling list

2004-04-16 20:31:38
At 02:30 2004-04-17 +0200, Paul R wrote:
Indead it is an announcement only, so I am the only mailer. A smart reader
can see the keyword in the subject and use it. But I think my ip is unique.
Therefor, I wanted to use my IP.

You _think_ your IP is unique?

IPs are supposed to be unique, but if your IP isn't statically assigned to you (i.e. not changing on you depending upon when you connect to your ISP, or otherwise expiring with your connection lease), then you cannot rely upon the IP being useable to identify you.

In any event, the solution which I suggested - using a keyword at the top of the message body, is entirely feasable for limiting posting even if you are the only poster -- the sed operation the message is filtered through eliminates the first line ('sed -e 1d' = delete 1 line, done), which means that the keyword line is then REMOVED from the message. Heck, using the keyword method also means you can post from OTHER systems if it becomes necessary.

Is it possible?

I suggest that you *READ* my post, since I also included the code to check for (multipe) IP addresses in the Received: headers, and identified it as such with additional commentary.