Re: Filtering a Kana system?

2004-05-26 15:29:40
At 09:09 AM 5/24/04 -0700, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 11:15 2004-05-24 -0400, Dragoncrest wrote:
Hi all. Got put on a project at work to setup some kind of spam and junk mail filtering for our Kana mail system, which if you know what Kana is it's used for our helpdesk people to track problems within the company.

Never heard of it.  I presume it runs on *nix ?

        www.kana.com

They've moved to a windows only system as of recently. But I plan to intercept the mail prior to it reaching Kana. I will be having it forwarded to the filtering server which will then forward all clean messages to the kana server, bum messages will be dropped in a review box and later deleted if there is no keepers in there. That will be to be 100% we're not nabbing legit emails.

If it doesn't, one possibility is to set up a mail gateway host - a separate machine which accepts the mail and relays it to the Kana box. Of course, the typical "gateway" configuration is an SMTP-only thing, and here, what you'd want to do is run the messages through procmail on the gateway host (assuming a gateway is necessary), and have procmail forward them. Your kana box could be (hopefully) configured to accept mail ONLY from the gateway host (at a minimum, you could firewall it at the boundary of your LAN).

        hehe.  Yeah, that's kinda what I was going to do.  :)

Anywho, we're receiving an inexhorbinant amount of spam and unwanted garbage like viruses and bounce messages into the box while only seeing maybe 2-3 legit emails a day in there.

Any chance that the legit emails have a certain _format_ to them? Are they say, generated from a web form?

Nope, not generated from a web form. They're sent from all sorts of places. If it were just from a web form, that'd be a lot easier to handle. But this mailbox receives openly on the net just like any other mailbox.

server that works like a charm and has never failed me once. However, I'm not sure if that recipe will work for a Kana mail style system so that we don't accidently filter out valid emails.

When setting up filters, it is always a good idea to spend a certain amount of time reviewing logs - seeing what the filter is discarding. Except, you don't merely throw the messages out - you archive them to a mailbox from which you can recover them if necessary.

        Yup, already planned that.  :)