(address cycling) Re: CLEANTO anyone?

2004-05-30 03:11:08
At 00:29 2004-05-30 -0400, Don Hammond wrote:
Email address in From: header is valid  * but only for a couple of days *
This is my reluctant response to spammers' unrelenting address harvesting

I posted about an avoidance technique in my procmail blog a week or two ago (to which I posted a pointer to here on the procmail list). You might want to review that - the problem with changing the LHS of your address is that your mail server will be bombarded with progressively MORE spam as the old addresses make their way into more databases. Using a different HOST on the RHS however allows you to abandon that interrim host and *SHED* the MX contacts.

        deh(_at_)may2004(_dot_)tradersdata(_dot_)com

Would work sufficient to ensure that HUMANS could make an educated guess as to how to contact you in two days (though reasonably, you wouldn't nix that host entry in DNS until a week or two into June, or hell, even the END of June).

As your method clearly relies upon PLUSSED addresses, unless you have an entry for each "retired" plussed address in your virtusertable or similar MTA facility, your server continues to ACCEPT the traffic and deliver it into your mailbox (and even if each retired address is listed, that's both a lot of management work as well as continuing MX hits, even if you decline them during the SMTP stage).