Re: Procmail 4.0 WishList

2004-06-26 16:12:18
At 15:11 2004-06-26 -0600, Google Kreme wrote:
> 4) Support DNS lookups directly.

I don't think so.  procmail is not a dns lookup tool, and there are
ways to do dns lookups if needed.  No reason, I think, for it to be
builtin to procmail.

A month or so ago, I suggested the possibility of "plugins" - binary modules which procmail could include for added functionality. This very thing is one of the functions I envision that plugin capability providing. Additionally, I proposed that such plugins could have deferred initialization: procmail wouldn't need to load them until their first actual USE, and therefore, you wouldn't take the hit of loading them unless that procmail run actually reached a point that it would use the plugin. After that however, the plugin would already be in memory, and therefore multiple uses of a plugin function wouldn't involve the same hit as running any other external process.

Other than this (as a plugin spec) and the regex count, I think most of the rest of the requests really do amount to change for the sake of change.

> 8) put formail into the code so you don't need to spawn another shell.

This is probably a good idea.  I'm sure it wasn't done initially to
keep the size of procmail down.  However, it might mean procmail is
always consuming much more reesources than would be used with the
current split executables.

Formail capabilities could be implemented as a plugin.  Problem solved.

I suspect it'd be a LOT less work to alter formail to operate as a plugin than it would be to pull its complete functionality into procmail (while maintaining backwards compatibility with existing scripts).