Re: Procmail 4.0 WishList

2004-06-27 00:07:24
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:47:48 -0500, David W. Tamkin
<dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> wrote:
Currently rcfiles may have blank lines anywhere that look good to the
writer, and in recent versions blank lines may even interrupt recipes.
The proposal is that if the line after a blank line is neither a
variable assignment nor another blank line, it is the first condition of
a new recipe.

Yeah, I don't like that myself.

The proposal also includes multiple actions from a recipe without the
need for :0A before each additional action.  So if a single word appears
below an action line, currently that unsets the variable by that name;
under the proposal, it would be an additional action, saving a copy of
the message to a folder by that name.

No, because you would need to specify either > (deliver) or + (copy)

All four of those would change the meaning of syntax that is legal now.

Procmail has gone through some changes, as all programs do. I think,
perhaps, a new delimiter set for "new style" recipes

:: flags
new recipe
contents here
;; end marker

to clearly differentiate the new functions and capabilities.

The redesigners either care about backward compatibility or they don't.
  If they do, they can't introduce forms that break it.  If they don't
care about it and they break it some of the time, they can't wave the
backward compatibility flag in the places where they didn't break it.

Any procmail 4 would have to be compatible with current recipes, but I
think that is possible

If they want to support ":0" because they like it, or because you like
it and they're beholden to you, fine.  But they're also making many
changes that are not backward compatible, so on the occasions when one
is, they cannot claim that backward compatibility was their intention.

No one is making any changes.  We're just talking here about what we
would like to see in a mythical imaginary update to procmail 4 that,
AFAIK, no one is working on.

I don't think the code has been touched in.... 3 years?  that's an eon
in computer time...

gkreme at gmail or kreme at kreme or syth at mac