Re: regexp match for unknown reason

2004-06-27 13:40:35
On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 07:48:50PM +0200, Laszlo 'GCS' Boszormenyi wrote:
Hi,

 I am not a newbie, but I can not find out why my regexp matches to
mails with no obvious reason. My regexp:
:0
* ^Subject: (Current)+|(Latest)+|(New)+|(Newest)+
(Net)+|(Network)+|(Internet)+|(Critical)+
$HOME/Maildir/virus/

(The + added later if it solves the mistery, but it does not).

Well, the plusses are useless, and so are the parentheses, and I would
advise you drop them.  Your problem is probably because you have not
surrounded the OR construct with parens on either side, though.  So
you are looking for something with a Subject with one space after the
colon and then the word Current, OR a message with the word "Latest"
anywhere in the headers, OR a message with the word "New" anywhere in
the headers, and so on.

Even if you clean this up and get it working, it's far too overbroad on
matching for my taste.  You're going to get too many false positives.

You might want to think about picking up my Virus Snaggers (see .sig) or
one of the other virus defangers people have made available.  See Nancy
McGough's QuickStart pages for a good, uh, start.

--
dman (Virus Snaggers 2.0.4 available at <http://vsnag.spamless.us>)