Parsing dates

2004-07-24 20:16:10
* Google Kreme <gkreme(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> [2004-07-24 19:37]:

I have the following date_fix.inc file (Which was a collaborative
effort from several people here, including some minor fixes/features
by me.  I thin you can find the threads by searching for
"WHICHRECVD" I think the original 'bones' of the script were
generated by Don Hammond

The script looks pretty elaborate.  It kinda bums me out that I wasted
time writing my own.  I'm not sure whether to use it, because someone
pointed out that GNU date can be used for date extraction.

I initially liked the idea of doing the date extraction in procmail
(as opposed to external apps), but GNU date looks real appealing for a
couple reasons:

First of all, the UNIX philosphy of many very small tools devoted to
very specific tasks, and working together.  It's a great philosophy,
and eliminates the possibility of repeating someones effort - and
making mistakes along the way.  Someone worked hard to perfect GNU
date in date capture and parsing.

Also, interpretted instructions are slower than compiled instructions,
so efficiency-wise, GNU date is probably quicker, despite the overhead
of launching a child process.

Does the procmail script you posted do anything that GNU date does
not?

In all of the above cases, Formail constructs a new From_ line
with the current date.  It would be nice if I could tell Formail
to trust the Date field,

No, the Date: filed is wholly untrustable.

In my case, I have inbound mail that was composed in the '90's,
(because I'm filtering old mail) and the From_ field shows July 2004,
which was added by Formail, and it's a useless date to me.  There are
no received headers on much of the mail, so my only source for a
realistic date is the Date: field.