RE: Parsing dates

2004-07-26 16:28:05

-----Original Message-----
From: Google Kreme
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 3:40 AM
[...]

It is elaborate, but it does exactly what is needed: get the date from
a specific received header (my server whose time/date I can trust) and
reconstruct a valid FROM header based on that.

It kinda bums me out that I wasted
time writing my own.  I'm not sure whether to use it, because someone
pointed out that GNU date can be used for date extraction.

GNU date is not necessarily available though.

I'd recommend GNU date if you've got it, but if you don't
then you might try the 'mdate' routine that I posted to
the list a while back. Described here:

http://rhols66.adsl.netsonic.fi/era/procmail/links.html

A program by Gary Funck called mdate tries to canonicalize date stamps as
found in mail messages. (It's probably not 100% effective, as per the
comments in the associated discussion thread.)

related links: