Re: Canonical procmailrc files?

2004-09-25 16:08:42
I am using procmail in several settings with great success. One thing
it seems like it ought to be able to do (and probably does) that I
haven't been able to figure out is to have it read a system wide
procmailrc (say in /etc/procmailrc) first, before reading a local
user's .procmailrc.  This would make it much easier for me to
implement standardized virus scanning and spam detection rules for all
accounts while allowing them to customize their own rules locally.

Is there any way to do this?

Yep.  In fact, what you say you want it to do is what actually happens.
If you take a look at the procmail man page you'll see:

      If no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command line,
      proc- mail  will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc, interpret
      commands from /etc/procmailrc  (if  present).

Martin McCarthy                 /</    http://procmail.non-prophet.org
    `Procmail Companion'        \>\
     Addison Wesley             /</                  PGP key available