Re: BOGUS and lockfile wierdness when under load

2004-09-30 13:12:24
We sent a couple of test messages and received some console errors from afs:
byte-range lock/unlock ignored; make sure that no one else is running
this prog.

My understanding is that lockf() does not work with AFS and this error
is what you get when you try to use it over AFS.

I was able to modify the build to allow autoconf to run the locking
test on the AFS directory as well as the local ones and it added
lockf().

It looks like it is erroneously determining that lockf() works and so
it's using it.  You might try modifying the build again to not use
lockf().

Renamed bogus  "/afs/@cell/common/spool/mail/MailDirs/nlcb/nlcd.lock"
into "/afs/@cell/common/spool/mail/MailDirs/nlcb/BOGUS.nlcd.QAQwBB"

Note that it is renaming the lock file here. (?)

Yeah - the man page is a little misleading in that it says the "Renamed
bogus..." error means that it faund problems with the user's mailbox.
It doesn't mention that it gives exactly the same message if there's a
problem with permissions or ownership of the lockfile.

So this is probably consistent with lockf() doing the "wrong thing" over
AFS.  I know almost nothing about AFS so I won't make a guess as to what
the "wrong thing" might be.

Hope that's some help, even if incomplete.

Cheers,
Martin
--
Martin McCarthy                 /</    http://procmail.non-prophet.org