OT: Licensing (Re: (hbedv) antivir and procmailrc)

2004-11-22 23:16:25
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:06:29 -0500, Bob George
<mailings02(_at_)ttlexceeded(_dot_)com> wrote:
[...]  I simply modified James Lick's clamassassin script
(http://drivel.com/clamassassin/) The script is generously GPL licensed,
so you can freely modify it to suit your specific needs.

Most of the time I'd just let this pass, but for some reason tonight
I'm compelled to clear up the misconception.

Unless the license prohibits you from using the program at all (in
which case, why and how did you get it?), you can *always* modify it
to suit your specific needs.  Even purchased software with
runtime-enforced licensing can be modified to suit your specific
needs, unless those needs are to violate the license.  (You'd probably
void the warranty, but that's not the point.)

What the GPL and similar open-source licenses grant you is the right
to *publish* your modifications, so that someone *else* can use them.