Re: bug in ^TO_ macro: character '+' *is* allowed in emails

2004-11-26 04:36:29
Toen wij Tristan Savatier kietelden, kwam er dit uit:

this way, ^TO_hugs(_at_)foo\(_dot_)com would not match on:
To: love+hugs(_at_)foo(_dot_)com

(currently it does match, and that's a bug).

I use 'plussed addressing' a lot. Wherever I need to fill in
an e-mailaddress, I use rvtol+domain.tld(AT)isolution.nl
where the domain.tld is the one from the website, etc.

So it would be nice (for me) if  ^TO_hugs(_at_)example(_dot_)com
would match hugs+kisses(_at_)example(_dot_)com but I know that it
doesn't because the ^TO_ macro does not support that.

I am not willing to call what you are addressing, a bug.
It is just the (limited) way that the ^TO_ macro works.
If you play a little with embedded comments, you can
come up with far stranger matches.

If you want to have a better way to check a From-value, use
Barton E. Schaefer's
http://www.well.com/user/barts/email/rfc822rc.txt

That one also has problems with comments. He states: "# Parsing
with regular expressions cannot handle parenthesized comments."
but of course there are other ways to handle that (step 1 is
determining character by character whether you are in a comment
or not; step 2 is removing the comment parts).

See also Appendix A of http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html
for very spacey and heav(il)y commented multi-lineair addresses.

--
Grtz, Ruud