Re: How does mail not addressed to me get to me?

2004-12-14 07:20:44
* Eric Wood <eric(_at_)interplas(_dot_)com> [2004-12-14 08:59]:

An spam email addressed to Bonnie but comes in my box.  But my
address nowhere in the email header.  Sometimes I see my address
after the "for" in the Received block which explains how the email
gets to me.  But certain emails make it to me without the "for".  Is
this a fluke with sendmail-8.12.10 not inserting the "for" clause in
some conditions?

Believe it or not, the TO field is purely for your information, and
can contain anything, or nothing at all.  Message routing is dependant
on the 'envelope header', which is transparent to you as a recipient.
What you see in the end is the 'body header'.
Ultimately the message gets routed based on the SMTP command "RCPT
TO".