Re: How does mail not addressed to me get to me?

2004-12-14 07:51:31
Toen wij Eric Wood kietelden, kwam er dit uit:

An spam email addressed to Bonnie but comes in my box.  But my address
nowhere in the email header.  Sometimes I see my address after the
"for" in the Received block which explains how the email gets to me.
But certain emails make it to me without the "for".

The addresses in the e-mail From:header do not have to match
the actual recipients at the SMTP-session. But often they do.

A message comes in an 'envelope'. The recipients mentioned on
the 'envelope' do not have to match those mentioned in (the
headers-part of) the message. That 'envelope' is removed at
the SMTP-level, and little or no information from the 'envelope'
can be re-generated from the headers.

Is this a fluke
with sendmail-8.12.10 not inserting the "for" clause in some
conditions?

I think you are referring to the (for someone(_at_)example(_dot_)com)
part in some Received-headers. That part is only there when
the message was not adressed to multiple users at your end.

--
Grtz, Ruud