Re: is this a LOOP

2005-01-11 07:52:55
At 12:51 2005-01-11 +0000, Andy Heath wrote:
Why isn't this in a .procmailrc an infinite recursion ?

:0
! someone(_at_)localhost

Well, by definition, .procmailrc is a personal procmail file, not a global on (/etc/procmailrc, note it's not a dot-file), and you're not indicating whether "someone(_at_)localhost" is the same user (which would be better defined as "me(_at_)localhost"). Thus, I'm left to believe that "someone(_at_)localhost is a separate user, and therefore, NO, this isn't a loop condition - unless they're doing much the same thing and forwarding it back to you.

Thist is why you're supposed to put an X-Loop: type header into the messages you forward, and check for that on messages BEFORE forwarding them in this fashion:

:0
# initial conditions, if any
        * ! ^X-Loop: me(_at_)somedomain\(_dot_)tld
        | formail -A "X-Loop: me(_at_)somedomain(_dot_)tld" | $SENDMAIL
someone(_at_)localhost

        # do something with message which was looped
        :0E
        /dev/null