Re: /dev/tty: Device not configured

2005-02-26 11:04:20
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 01:06:16PM -0800, Vicki Brown wrote:

I'm using formail, piping the output through fgrep, sed, and/or awk
to scan mail headers and match them against whitelist and blacklist
files.

I get a lot of
    /dev/tty: Device not configured
messages in my log whenever I do the pipe.

An aside: most or all of these, you could easily do in pure procmail
and avoid the shell calls.

I'm wondering if you have rights to execute in the shell from procmail.
That might be the problem.  The error happens every time there is a pipe
in your statement.  Oh, and you should define a shell in your
.procmailrc, the definition should be early on, and it should be
/bin/sh unless you have an extraordinarily persuasive reason for it
to be something else.

.procmailrc

SHELL = /bin/sh

GREP="egrep -iqsf"            # ignore case, quiet, suppress errors,
FGREP="fgrep -if"             # ignore case (whole words? -w)
WHITELIST=$PMDIR/whitelist          # people

You've never defined $PMDIR anywhere here.

--
dman