Re: err msg in log file from pipe cmd, to notify sender of rejected msg

2005-03-25 09:17:05
Go ahead and keep the discard rule just after it (if the bounce
fails for some reason, that'll still discard the message)

  Just to clarify, you mean remove the c from the formail line,
but leave the /dev/null line (sans filelock), in case the formail
fails? Is there any reason why a failure would continue on in
the rule? And does that mean that I should include 'w' in the "| formail" rule?

The reason you're getting the write error is that formail
isn't reading in the entire message.  Procmail is expecting
to write the headers and MASSIVE body, but the invocation
of formail is telling it to just process the headers.

  Yes, that makes sense.  I think I assumed that formail would
drop the body anyway, so it didn't matter, but I see now that
this adds more work to procmail, thus slowing things down.

Some other reccommendations: if rejection_notice isn't a valid
address, don't set the envelope sender to be that anyway.

  It is valid (it is an alias to the my email addy).

in fact, you should set it to be postmaster (which is a better
option than mailer-daemon, unless your bounce message is
formulated so as to mimic a 'standard' bounce for oversized
messages).

  The reason for setting it to 'rejection_notice' is because we
deal with a lot of clientelle who are not computer literate, and
my thought is that the email message, which is returned, should
be as obvious as possible that it is, in fact, a rejection notice.
This should be obvious even before they open the message to read
the body.

Have you considered just enabling the message size limits in
your MTA?

  (=  If I knew how, I would have done this in the first place.  If
there is one thing that is more "magical" to me than procmail, it's
sendmail.  I'm feel proud to just have sendmail working. (=

  However, I will happily investigate this option.  I would much
rather let sendmail do this work anyway. (=

  Thanks 2000lbs!!

brad/duck