Re: Which characters to quote ?

2005-04-04 10:20:17
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:53:02AM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Apr 4, 2005 8:39 AM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle(_at_)freenet(_dot_)de> wrote:

OK, previously I have used      tr -d $'\t' |tr -d $'\n' |tr -d $'\r'
which was working fine, but
now I have tried                td -ds '[\n\t\r]' ' '
which does not work.

Presumably "td" is a transcription error.

Well, it might be why it didn't work for her.  It works for me
(when spelled right).  That's why I suggested it.

My try to use                   td -ds $'[\n\t\r]' ' '
ends in a error message

What error message?  And why the three consecutive quotes at the end
of that string?

There are two args.  The -ds option needs two args.

 SYNOPSIS
      tr [-cs] string1 string2
      tr [-c] -d string1
      tr [-c] -s string1
      tr [-c] -ds string1 string2

 [. . . .]

    In the fourth synopsis form, the characters in string1 are deleted from
    the input, and the characters in string2 are compressed as described for
    the -s option.

There's a lot of variation in implementations of tr so there might be
a number of different reasons that this would fail.  I've had good
luck using octal escapes with tr rather than \r et al.  So try
    tr -ds '\011\012\015'

Sure, that would be fine too.  I still think my original should work,
though.

--
dman