Re: OT: criminy (Was: Re: Which characters to quote ?)

2005-04-05 18:08:04
Well it's kind of off-topic (but fun); but dictionary.reference.com quotes
Webster's New Millennium? Dictionary of English, Preview Edition (v 0.9.5)
Copyright © 2003, 2004 Lexico Publishing Group, LLC ---

"
Main Entry:        criminy
Part of Speech:    interjection
Definition:        an exclamation of surprise, a mild oath; also written
                   crimine, cf. crikey
Etymology:         Italian crimine `crime'; euphemism for `Christ'
"

And as a lad, we also used "crime in Italy" as an equal/alternate
expression!  I suspect "crime in Italy" has more to do with the sound of
"criminy" than the fact that the word originated in Italy. :)

                                - fleet -