Re: (not)Using header macros

2005-04-18 07:28:48
On 18 Apr 2005 Gerald V. Livingston II (debuser(_at_)sysmatrix(_dot_)net) wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:14:45 +0200 Dallman Ross wrote:

I'll add that I essentially never use the ^TO_/^TO macros,
preferring more specifically coded regexes.  But I know plenty
use them, and I wouldn't want to say one shouldn't.  It's just
a personal preference.

That's why I couldn't remember off the top of my head if the colon were
required. About the only macros I have ever used are ^FROM_DAEMON and
^FROM_MAILER. And I don't see either of those in my current .procmailrc.

If I'm interested in matching on a header it's generally a SPECIFIC header.
 [...]

Even though my Procmail Quick Start walks users through setting
up recipes that use the '^TO_' macro, I also do not use it. But, I
think it is useful for newbies, especially if they understand all
the

  Important Notes About Procmail's  ^TO_  Macro

which I list here:

  <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#TO>

For example:

* Do not put a space or any character between ^TO_ and the email
   address you are matching on; it must be ^TO_beginning-of-address
   or ^TO_fully-qualified-address.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
  (posted to gmane.mail.procmail)