Re: formail oddity

2005-04-21 19:59:49
On 4/21/05, Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> wrote:
I've decided for now the default input could be /bin/test.  How does that
sound?

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

You want to run procmail regardless of whether you have any useful
input for it.  Sometimes you might actually have a multi-message file
to process, so you want to use formail in that event, but other times
you might not have any file at all, and rather than test whether you
need formail, you want to use it all the time and feed it a dummy file
if the input would otherwise be empty?

There must be a better way.

In any event:

schaefer[501] ls -l =formail =test
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        27724 Mar  5  2004 /usr/bin/formail*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        22140 Mar 16  2004 /usr/bin/test*
schaefer[502] ls -l /bin/test
ls: /bin/test: No such file or directory

That's a RedHat EL3 Linux system.  (The =foo syntax is a zsh-ism.)