procmail, virtual mailboxes

2005-04-26 09:12:39
Can someone help me with this?  I need to find a way to have procmail
store messages to virtual mailboxes.  My web host uses virtual mailboxes
to implement multiple mailboxes.  How might I find out the physical
address of a virtual mailbox (or are they variable)?

That's a matter you should take up with the maker of the virtual mailbox
package you're using.  Procmail can deliver to a file, or pipe the message
to a program to deliver it.

The problem of writing to virtual mailboxes from procmail is pretty well
recognized and mentioned many times in Internet documents.  The problem
evidently consists in the fact that procmail can't (easily) find out the
physical address of the virtual mailbox files.  Some people have evidently
gotten around this by writing a script that reads the information directly from
the virtual user password file.  But since my website is hosted on a commercial
web host, any script belonging to me would not have access privileges to such a
password file.

Er, two email _addresses_ don't equate to two actual mailboxes.

Do you have separate login credidentials to the server to retrieve the mail
for these two addresses?  If not, then they aren't separate mailboxes.

Further, if you're writing to these from your shell account, as a user,
rather than ROOT, then you can't arbitrarily write to another mail spool
file, unless it is owned by you (or unless your host has crappy security
settings on the spool directory).

Yes, of course the virtual mailboxes I need to access all belong to me.  I
don't run as root.  Yes, they are really individual mailbox files (separate
login credentials).

If the virtual mailboxes have predictable locations and names, I could simply
have my procmail-spawned perl script construct the absolute pathname to the
virtual mailbox, and let the perl script write directly to the mailbox, rather
than have procmail do it.  I really don't know how my web host is handling mail
delivery, nor am I am Unix expert.  I am consulting my web hosting people about
this.