Re: filtering & forwarding incoming email

2005-05-03 10:38:58
Michael J Wise quoted a post of mine and then added this, which is totally unrelated:

One might also want to incorporate this little trick, to make the
behavior more .forward-like, and further reduce those pesky mail-loops:

    SENDER="<$1>"
    SENDMAILFLAGS="-oi -f <$1>"

I've no earthly idea how that is a follow-up to my post and why my post should be quoted it in it.

But anyhow, Michael's suggestion assumes that procmail was invoked in a way that sets $1 (and moreover I don't see how the same value of $1 can work for both of those assignments, and I'm not so sure about having the angle brackets in the argument to $SENDMAIL -f), so perhaps,

SENDER=${1+"<$1>"}

or

SENDMAILFLAGS="-oi${1+ -f \"<$1>\"}"