Re: problem with ... following rules

2005-08-01 04:14:55
On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 05:33:07AM +0530, Ligesh wrote:

A display software has to take care of the limitations at its
end. It shouldn't really make assumptions about the sender. If
it is a single line paragraph, you just wrap it as you wish. And
Wrapping is a trivial task. I think it is default in html to
wrap and the idiotic mail archiver is forcibly adding a nowrap
or something. That is pathetic design. And now because of bad
software design you want everyone to follow some outdated
convention?

Ligesh, you are claiming to apply careful logic; but (to the degree
your logic is not flawed, which point I won't go into right this sec)
you are doing so in a vaccuum, as if no other well-followed practice
had ever evolved and you are free simply to invent your own way,
irrespective of other users that have spent time, effort, and energy
designing their own interactive tools to comply with what's out there
already.

You're acting like a hermit.  That has its attractions -- I have
fantasized more than once about becoming a hermit, and I dare say
many others have, as well.  But to carry it out in actuality, yet
then interact with others on your hermit's terms nonetheless, just
doesn't work, and is bound to create friction.

[L to Sean]

  Exactly. Please go configure the mailman like I had explained
  above. And you can avoid such ugly/arrogant disclaimers at the
  end of the mail.

Regarding how the list server sets follow-ups, this list does
it correctly.  If it would be set to follow up by default to the
list just with the normal "reply" action, then we'd see all
manner of bounce messages and "out-of-office" crap, etc., not
to mention worm and bot stuff.

Patrick Shanahan: what was that FAQ URL you once showed me in
this regard, again?

Dallman