Re: Filter?

2005-08-12 09:18:54
At 01:17 2005-08-12 -0400, Lennart Andersen wrote:
:0H
* 1^0 ^Reply-To:.*hotmail\.com
* 1^0 ^From:.*hotmail\.com
* 1^0 ^To:.*hotmail\.com
$MAILDIR/spam

I'll echo Paul's statement that this is far too simplistic to simply
categorize mail as spam.

FTR, since there isn't a threshold (basically, an initial no-condition
negative score), it only takes one of the three conditions in order to
match the rule, yet all three will be checked for.  Excepting for capturing
statistics to the logfile, there's no use in doing this - may as well set
them to be a maximal score each (9876543210^0 is a common, easy to remember
one - but basically, it is 2^31 (binary, not scoring syntax)).  See 'man
procmailsc'

Also the 'H' flag is the default flag and doesn't need to be specficied
unless you're ALSO scanning the body.  Of course, if you have just a few
conditions you want to scan the body for

Now, if you're using what I call "spammishness" - a running tabulation of
"fishy" or "suspect" things about an email, then adding some score for
these attributes isn't necessarily a bad thing - hotmail is among my
flagged domains for messages originating from it (and yes, I do have a
tosser hotmail account myself - I use it for initial contact, such as
classified advert replies, so I don't have to subject my own domain to a
deluge of crapmail that will ofttimes ensue), as well as messages
originating from it but not bearing the expected mailhosts in the headers
(see my "spewhosts" filter), which is a simplistic way of catching
forgeries (including for various banks subject to phishing messages).  The
idea is that few single attributes necessarily makes a message spam, but
quite a few smaller ones do.  To wit:

SPAM: +50 message-id domain does not match sender domain
SPAM: +75 received without messageid, injected by local mailserver
SPAM: +125 Single received header for foreign sender
SPAM: +35 from_domain not found in received chain
SPAM: +50 Cleartext recipient is common target here
SPAM: +25 From/Recipient score 25
SPAM: +150 From service doesn't appear in Received lines
SPAM: +175 IP 219.32.84.167 listed in dialup DNSBL
SPAM: +125 relay hostname appears to be consumer dialup/broadband
SPAM: +(249*0.75) text/html ONLY
SPAM: +5 spam type statements (5)
SPAM: +150 forged hotmail.com
SPAM: +249 Abundance of triggers
SPAM: Advisory - spammishness is 1400.75
SPAM: spammishness exceeds threshold of 249
SPAM: Apparent recipient is **DELETED**
INFO: SpamFilter v03.11.00  SBS  20050425/1552