Re: Sorting an already existing mbox file, is it possible?

2005-09-30 03:10:55
Thomas Mueller wrote:
I have several mbox files, including one mb0x094elv, and a recipe1.rc, in
one directory, /usr/local/mailplay (for root) and /home/arlene/mailplay
(for non-root).  I have tried commands like

procmail -m recipe1.rc < mbox094elv

formail -ns < mbox094elv | procmail -m recipe1.rc

formail -s is the right approach, but don't use a pipe. With the -s
switch, formail splits the mailbox into separate messages and then
starts a separate process of the program given as an additional
argument on the command line. This should be procmail in your case,
but it's actually missing, so that formail just writes all messages
back to stdout (which gets redirected to procmail via the pipe) again
as one chunk, and your result isn't different from the first attempt.
Try

  formail -ns procmail -m recipe1.rc <mbox094elv

instead. (Do you need the -m at all?) Make sure to have no recipes
that append messages to mbox094elv, though, otherwise rename the file
first.

/HW