Re: deleting old mails

2005-10-05 15:31:58
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:42:20PM -0500, Mr Duck wrote:

Dallman Ross wrote:
in procmail, you'll need to be able to read in today's date from
a file.  You could generate it once daily via cron.  It would
contain, e.g.:
   TODAY = 20051005

   Would there really be that much of a performance hit using:

    TODAY = `date +"%Y%m%d"`

   instead of reading from a file?  After all, the recipe will
still have to spend some cycles loading the file data.

   I just ran a test on my system to check this, and my results are:
Reading from a file 10,000 times takes 29 seconds.
Using the date command 10,000 times takes 33 seconds.

You're spawning a shell 10,000 times.

It's not a big hit.  The date command is not heavy-duty.
But the OP asked very specifically, "is there an all-procmail
way?"  Answer: yes.

Once you set up the cron job, you save a tiny bit every
day forever.

--
dman