Re: "formail -D" but without updating the cache

2005-11-27 20:10:59
On 11/26/05, Gary Funck <gary(_at_)intrepid(_dot_)com> wrote:

- use grep -Z to first search the id database, because we
  know that id's are zero-terminated in the cache file.

grep -Z affects the output format from grep, not the format it expects
of the file being scanned.

- use lockfile to atomically test and create a file whose
  name is given by the message id

That's an interesting idea.  It would at least allow me to serialize
the testing of a particular message rather than serializing all
message deliveries by using a fixed lockfile name.

I'd be a ittle worried about message id as a signature though.

I'm just using message-id for purposes of example, because it's the
default value used by "formail -D".  Actually the signature is pulled
out of other headers and a formail trick is used to make that the
value that really goes into the cache.  I didn't want to divert the
discussion from the caching problem to the signature problem ...