Re: The file :0

2005-12-22 09:34:48
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:50:33 +0100 Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com>
wrote:

[...] >  If there are too many, try more options to find, such as: >  >
 find / -mtime -5 -type f -user udi -print0 2>/dev/null >  > Dallman

If this is a local system to which you have root access and you have the
'locate' program installed (indexed uber-find) the as root run

updatedb

        No, I don't like locate(1).  It calls find and make DataBase
        run from crontab(8) and we talk about buzy mail server.

then as user or as root run

locate ':0'

It worked great here.

find ~ -name '*:0'

        I tried cruel find from / and didn't found.  Dallman
        suggest to ignore the name of the file because maybe
        the filename was currupted, I'm going to do it.

Bye,
   Udi

worked as well.

If you aren't finding it with 'find' then it most likely got written
somewhere (like to '/') that it wasn't allowed to write as a normal user so
the mail went to the great bit bucket in the sky.

Gerald