Re: matching Received

2006-01-06 15:31:09
Michael J Wise wrote:
  Second, escaping of the @ is not necessary.
I know. It also doesn't hurt. Remembering which characters need
it, and which don't, in which context, makes my head throb.
Which is never a good thing.

   (=  I agree.  I'm just really picky about escaping.
I don't like to escape what doesn't need it, so I typically
try w/o first and add it if it needs it.

I had originally written the recipe w/o the ?? stuff,
but since that doesn't seem to make
any difference in the effectiveness of the recipe,
It adds a needless level of confusion. IMHO only, of course.

   I used to think so, too, but I've really gotten used to
the ?? format.  Strangely enough, it looks cleaner to me
this way. (=  Plus, I like the fact that I can specify
the header or body per line, instead of once for all.

  Thirdly, adding the square brackets to the Received match
will only complicate the matching process.
Sometimes, you really want to match for those brackets, especially if
someone else is trying something cute. I just habitually put them in.
Sorry if that disturbs you.

   Worry yourself none! This truely disturbs me not!

   I can understand your point related to someone "trying
something cute".  At this juncture, I'm not worried about
the cute thing that may be tried.  Once I know that the
recipe isn't bonking good mails, then I'll more than
likely add the brackets.

I think I see the problem.
It's not what you think.
The problem is, the un-negated rule doesn't match the first line it
sees, so the negation matches.
It's ugly, but there it is.

   Dang you Scuba Steve!

   As you had mentioned in the previous post, I believe that you
are correct that making this more "foolproof" would require a
fairly nasty and dirty recipe/regexp that I am not personally
comfortable, confident, nor considering trying.

   Again, thanks for the assist.  If nothing else, we had a
little banter.

Mr Duck