Re: removing duplicates based upon an excerpt from the msg. body

2006-02-11 03:00:53
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 06:58:34PM -0800, Gary Funck wrote:

I'm on a few mailing lists, which are populated by certain
people, whom I'll call "pundits", who post the same message/article
to multiple lists (as separate distinct messages).  I've grown tired
of reading their contributions in duplicate/triplicate, and frankly,
want to relegate them to a separate lower priority folder,
for less frequent review.  To do this, I came up with the
following recipe:

:0:
* PUNDIT ?? ^^YES^^
{

T400=`formail -I '' | tr -c '[:alpha:][:digit:]' '_' |
       tr -s '_' | head -c 400`

This part, you don't need two 'tr' commands for.  Just use

 tr -cs '[:alpha:][:digit:]' '_'

Also, it's easy enough to match the first bit of body in native
procmail and feed that to tr, reducing the external programs,
although of course formail is not a biggie.

We had a thread about three years ago where we figured out efficient
ways to find the first X chars of the body in just procmail --
in case you feel like scouring the archives.

dman