Re: procmail or formail escaping From lines

2006-06-17 16:06:11
Andrew Haninger schreef:

I am trying to filter some old mailboxes (downloaded with Netscape
4.7) in mbox format through procmail.

Using the command:

  cat $mbox_file | formail -b -f -s procmail

and the .procmailrc recipe:

  :0r:
  mail/mailbox.mbox

my messages seem to be bunched up into one large 68MB email. Looking
at the mail in mutt shows one mail followed by another, but the From
line in the second email is escaped:

  > From - Sun Jun 11 00:39:51 2000

Only in the second email?

The original mbox file from Netscape is readable just fine in mutt,
but after I pipe it through procmail/formail, the From lines are
escaped.

Am I missing something? How do I keep the From lines from being
escaped.

The -b should take care of that. So are you sure that the problem isn't
in the original?

Test without procmail:
    formail -b -s -f < $mbox_file > mail/mailbox.mbox

Wait, read from man procmailrc:
If  there  is no Content-Length: field or the -Y option has been speci-
fied and procmail appends to regular mailfolders, any lines in the body
of the message that look like postmarks are prepended with `>' (disarms
bogus mailheaders). [...]

Maybe a "-a Content-Length:" will fix it? Add a "-q-" too.

And test with a small sample. :)

--
Groet, Ruud