regarding a possible filter

2006-07-25 07:32:56
All,

   One thing that I have noticed about most of the spam that
actually makes it through our filter is that either they
don't put a name in the To line:

   To: efhutton(_at_)realty(_dot_)com

   Or they put a ficticious name:

   To: "Kerk Johnson" <efhutton(_at_)realty(_dot_)com>

   I'm considering writing a filter to check for this.  It
will basically look for the absence of a real name and give
the email a negative score for it.  Or, if the name exists
but its not the name of someone in my office, then give it
a negative score.

   It will also need to check to see if the email is directed
at a person via CC and not To, which presents other problems.

   Although I believe that this could potentially be done
solely in procmail, I don't have the skillz that killz to
write the recipe, so writing a filter seems like the best
way to accomplish the task.

   So, here comes my actual question(s).

   Does it make sense to do this in a filter?

   My believe is that the filter shouldn't do anything more
than add a header item to the email to indicate that it
found a negative something or other.  Then, procmail will
deal with the email based on this header item.

   Should I try to do this in procmail?  Like I said, I
don't have the skillz to do so, and would need a tremendous
amount of help.  As a filter, I can write it no problems.

   And the last question, if I do write as a filter, what
exit codes should be sent (from the filter), if any, to
indicate success or failure?  What number is considered
success? What is failure?  Should I bother with an exit
code from the filter?

   I'll stop here.

TLD