Re: \< and \> don't quite make it

2006-09-12 16:37:39
Ruud H.G. van Tol said:
Mike Peeler schreef:

    * $ ^Subject:(.*\<)?\/.*

That $ can go.

Thanks, Ruud.  The production recipe I snarfed that from had used $NW:

        * $ ^Subject:.*\/$NW.*

Not to bring $NW for non-whitespace into this discussion, I made a wee
tactical change.  I overlooked the orphaned $.  Good catch.

Variant:

     OR = 9876543210^0
     *$ $OR SUBJ ?? ()\<ports/x11/xterm( |$)

That's nice.  The use of $GO^0 is amid a run of scoring conditions one
of which decides the outcome if tripped.  $OR could be good sometimes.

But, $OR is slightly misleading, as the short-circuited score is still
ANDed with any non-scoring conditions.  IOW, ORed conditions are bound
together--in effect parenthesized to flip the usual and/or precedence.

FWIW, the rationale I learned for disjunctive normal form was to group
one set of true conditions, vs. another group, vs. another.  Alternate
possible worlds.

-mdp