Re: Formail: what is the +skip option for and why?

2006-09-30 02:52:26
On 29 Sep 2006, at 22:44 , Steve A wrote:
David W. Tamkin wrote:
Seee the formail(1) man page.  With -s, +# means to skip the first #
split-out messages and omit them from the output.

I saw the option in the man page, but I don't know what a 'split-out'
message is... until I read below.

Often a mbox file will contain a fake message as the first message in
the mailbox.  It is often marked with a subject something like

  **DO NOT DELETE THIS MESSAGE**

That's what +1 is usually used for, to skip that pseudo message.

Here's one sample from one of my mbox files:

===BEGIN===
 From MAILER-DAEMON Sat Jan 14 23:55:59 2006
Date: 14 Jan 2006 23:55:59 -0700
From: Mail System Internal Data
<MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)akane(_dot_)covisp(_dot_)net>
Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA

This text is part of the internal format of your mail folder, and is not
a real message.  It is created automatically by the mail system
software.
If deleted, important folder data will be lost, and it will be re-
created
with the data reset to initial values.

===END===

--
Everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it's all such a
laugh.  Yeah, and the chipstains and grease will come out in the