Re: What's the difference between a pipe and a filter?

2006-10-05 04:05:04

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Steve A wrote:

This is just for confirmation really...

A pipe and a filter are invoked by the same command, '|'.  For a normal
pipe, procmail hands off the message to the pipe, end of story.

        Yes, pipe with no 'f'.

For a
pipe acting as a filter, procmail will take whatever is returned from
the pipe (most likely changed), to be the message it previously handed
off.  Is this true?

        Yes.  pipe with 'f' flag.

If so, if you use the h flag in the recipe, procmail will only hand off
the headers, and when using the fh flags, procmail will reattach the
(changed?) header to the original body.  Is this true?

        I don't understand what is "reattach" because of my English,
        anyway, the output of the filter is the whole message ie if
        you use 'fh' procmail will not cut out the body.

        With 'fh' you ask procmail to save cpu time while working on
        the buffer also avoid search in the body when you want to change
        something in the header only.  Same with 'fb'.

Bye,
  Udi

Thanks,
Steve :)