Re: "Error while writing to:" but I can't find cause - found!

2006-10-08 16:13:27
Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> wrote:
But when I moved one mail folder from the old server to the new
server, procmail stopped being able to deliver any new messages
to this folder:

  procmail: Error while writing to "FolderFile"
  procmail: Truncated file to former size

Postfix sets itself up with a default filesize quote of, I believe
it is, 50MB.  Find the quota in your postfix setup and turn it off.

Thank you, that was it.  I was getting the error from procmail so I
didn't think to look at postfix, but it turns out it sets a ulimit
before spawning the delivery agent, so procmail inherits the limit
from postfix.

If would be nice if procmail told you *what* error it encountered, at
least in verbose mode.  If I'd seen that it was exceeding the file
size limit (write returns EFBIG) I'd probably have thought to look in
the right place.

Anyway, for the benefit of people who google or search the procmail
list archive and have this same problem, the postfix parameter is
mailbox_size_limit and does NOT appear in the main.cf supplied with
the source, but is documented in sample/sample-local.cf so you can
copy that portion into main.cf and change the limit.

  -- Cos