Re: Trouble shooting Slow delivery time

2006-10-21 11:12:13
On 10/20/06, Tim Johnson <tim(_at_)johnsons-web(_dot_)com> wrote:
2)I send from mutt to my main email address, for which
  my system is configured to receive via fetchmail
  Within seconds of sending the mail, if I invoke
  fetchmail, my logfile tells me that it has been read.

  *but* it takes some time before it is actually delivered.

Do you have fetchmail delivering directly to procmail, or does it
delver first to the local MTA (e.g., sendmai)l and then the MTA
delivers to procmail?

Check your MTA mail queues (remember there is a separate "submit
queue" if you're running a recent version of sendmail, so you need to
check both queues; "mailq" and "mailq -Ac").  Depending on how
fetchmail talks to the MTA, the mail coming in that way may be getting
queued first and then delivered later during the scheduled queue runs,
whereas the mail coming from mutt is never queued.

Another possibility is that the mail coming from fetchmail is
undergoing DNS checks that are taking extra time, but I wouldn't
expect 10 minutes for that.