Re: To pipe the failure messages to a php script

2006-10-25 18:02:47
At 01:37 2006-10-26 +0200, luc_michalski(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)fr wrote:

And the ultimate question is : how to create a .procmailrc file in order
to pipe the failure messages to a php script...

Well, if you used an address specific for bouncing, you could simply alias
that address to the script in your exim config (however that is done - I
know it is trivial in Sendmail, so presuming all of Exim's claims about how
much better they are, it should do it by itself because you THINK it so).

Your other possibilty would be to send out customized messages one per
recipient in your database, say once a month, with a coded return address,
and take ANY bounce to be a failure (or a twit with an autoreplybot) and
use the coded return address to identify the address you sent it to.  This
is actually a LOT better than expecting to find an address in a bounce,
because all it takes is someone FORWARDING their mail from one address
(subbed to your list) to another (not subbed), and having a delivery
failure at the second address - you might never parse the real address in
their message.  antispam/viral gateways, particularly when implemented on
corporate networks (i.e. MS Windows) seem to provide some really LAME
bounces now and again, not identifying the actual recipient (or providing
an internalized name, not the address you'd have mailed to).