Re: Setting up Procmail on server with NIS

2006-11-26 03:49:11

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Wojciech Komornicki wrote:

Just about all the postings I have read on the configuration of procmail is
relative to an individual's account.

My situation is different.  I have a machine (Fedora Core 5) and most users
are known to the system through NIS.
However, procmail rejects mail to these users with "user unknown" in the
maillog.  If I add aliases for each user in
/etc/mail/aliases to point to the mailbox on the NIS server, everything is
fine.

        Something is broken here!  All the users must be known by the
        server if ypbind is running.  The user is found in $LOGNAME.
        You don't need to duplicate yppasswd in aliases.  Check your
        /etc/nsswitch.conf - see the first three lines:

passwd:     files nis
shadow:     files nis
group:      files nis

        What do you get on the mail server when you do from the
        command line:

ypmatch jacob passwd

        Do you get Jacob's record?

So my question: what should I do in my sendmail.mc or global procmailrc
files to get procmail to see the NIS maps
which indicate that these users really do exist.

        An example using NIS in procmail to find if the -sender-
        exists:

FRM=`formail -r -x"To: "`

:0
* FRM ?? ()\/[^(_at_)]+
*$ ! ?  ypmatch $MATCH passwd
/is/not/in/the/nis/map

As an add-on: if I use a .forward which filters the messages through ELM's
filter (remember ELM), mail gets delivered
since the NIS map is then seen.

        Strange.

Bye,
  Udi