Re: Weird problem with one user

2006-11-28 12:29:14
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 02:56:39PM +0100, Steve wrote:

The thing is, this has all worked perfectly for some considerable
time, and continues to work perfectly for all accounts except
one. Try as I might, I can't see what's different about that
account. It would seem that nothing is getting piped through SA,
so I assume that this is a procmail issue.

In the home dir, I have a '.forward' file with permissions 0644 containing:

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail || exit 75 #lomcovak"

1) What are lomcovak's $HOME dir permissions?
2) What is lomcovak's shell?  Is it different from the others?
   Is it in /etc/shells?

What I'm about to say might or might not be your problem.  Even
assuming it's not, you should fix it anyway:

Supposing, for whatever reason, we can't exec procmail?
Your model .forward directive is flawed.  It will never work
as you think it will.  Here's what it's doing: it's exec'ing
and trying to replace the shell with /usr/bin/procmail.  If
it can't do that for whatever reason, then "exec" has already
been run, and there's no way back.  The shell simply exits.
The fallback "|| exit 75" will never happen.

This archetype .forward on which yours is based has been floating
around the net since at least the mid-1990s.  It's simply wrong.
Most of the time, we'd never notice, which is why it's still around
and held by some to be "recommended."  The solution is to get rid
of the "exec".  If you want, you can do something like this (but
all one one line!):

 | [ -x /usr/local/bin/procmail ] &&
   exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -t -f- || exit 75

That is untested.  Try it out first, and be careful!  But it's
much easier just to remove the "exec" from what you have already.

Notice that mine's in /usr/local/bin/procmail.  Are you sure
yours is really in /usr/bin/procmail?  If it's not there,
then that's your problem right there.

The thing is, emails arrive okay in lomcovak's mailbox (ie,
in /var/spool/mail) but they show no sign (in the headers) of having been
seen by SpamAssassin. Nothing gets logged to .procmail/procmail.log. spamc
and procmail are in lomcovak's path.

Is the procmail at /usr/bin/procmail, which is what you've got in
the .forward?!

Dallman