Re: Lol Procmail dont work

2006-11-30 18:15:41
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:18:17 -0700 Google Kreme <gkreme(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On 30-Nov-2006, at 13:49, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:
If this is the case, I can't begin to fathom why postfix wouldn't be
issuing a bounce for the messages.  In fact, if procmail were
executing and
bailing out, there should be an exit code...

Depending on his *nix distribution PostFix may already BE
configured as
the LDA. It is for my Debian installs.

Well, I recently had a problem which has happened at least once in
the past.  There was some issue with procmail that prevented it from
logging anything, and seemingly prevented it from launching (though
that is a guess).

Consequently, for several hours, all email processed by procmail
simply vanished.

Nothing logged to /var/log/procmail (where /etc/procmail normally
logs) and nothing logged to any user's log file, so no way to know
exactly what happened, other that the 8 hours of mail that simply
vanished from sight.

Now, overall I've been using procmail since 1996 or so with very few
problems.  When there have been problems though, they are rather
catastrophic.

In fact, I'm wondering if there isn't same way to run procmail as a
local pipe for postfix instead of as a real LDA, since if something
int he pipe fails postfix seems to do the 'right thing'.

There should be. I'm not (yet) using procmail on any of my PostFix installs
because they are running MySQL virtual user setups with no (easy) way to
set up a way for users to control their own settings. My procmail is still
running on my 7 year old personal mail server running an old version of
Exim.

You may want to ask on the PostFix users list -- but be aware that it is
*VERY* high volume so you definitely want to drop it into its own folder
and maybe just sign on only long enough to get your answer.

http://www.postfix.org/lists.html

Gerald