Re: procmail->formail->procmail

2006-12-09 16:13:29
On 9-Dec-2006, at 15:33, Chris Cera wrote:
Here is the recipe, the problem is that formail does not send the
resultant
mail back to procmail for processing, it just delivers it to my
default
mailbox.

No it doesn't.  formail doesn't deliver mail.

I would like it to come back into procmail so the first rule can
catch it,

No.  procmail runs through rules in serial order.  Period.

copy it to the default mailbox, and drop it into the spam_despam
mbox file.  Any help is greatly appreciated, and I am certainly
all-ears for a better way of achieving this.  -Chris

Er.. obviously more is going on here.  When is the subject getting
tagged, only after you check for it?

    :0c
    * ^Subject:.*\[despammed]
    $HOME/mail/spam/spam_despam

"Take a copy of the message (so two messages now), and if it has
"[despammed]" anywhere in the Subject, save it in the spam_despam
mbox."  BTW, you need a lock.

    :0Wci: pm_despam.lock
    | $HOME/bin/despam

Take ANOTHER COPY (three messages now) of the message, and whilst
ignoring all errors, pipe it to despam.

    # despam failed, mark it as spam
    :0e fh w
    * ^Subject:\/.*
    | formail -I "Subject: [despammed]$MATCH"

If despam failed, then  feed the header to the pipe, and wait for
completion, add "[despammed]" to subject. Two unmodified messages
fall to default, or one modified and two unmodified if despam didn't
fail, depending on what dpsam does with the message it gets piped.

Now, how can the first recipe ever see the tag?  And when this
process is finished, you will have three copies of the message...

I don't understand what you are trying to do with these subject tags,
or why you think it makes sense to check for a subject tage before
you could possibly apply it, or why you want to resubmit a message
tot eh start of your procmailrc, where you would then end up with SIX
copies of it instead of just three.

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you *think*
before you break 'em.